Retain the shape of your clothes longer
Hanging and folding clothes is integral to extending their life. Here are some simples tips for putting away your clothes:
- Always iron or steam an item before hanging or folding it: there is on point in hanging something that’s not ready to wear. You may have to iron it again before use, but in general it makes it a lot easier to have items pressed and neat to begin with.
- No wire hangers! Hangers that the dry-cleaner sends you home with should be thrown away. Invest in wooden hangers that help clothes retain their shape.
- Do up any zips or buttons on garments that you hang, this also helps to retain their shape.
- Do not hang sweaters: they are too heavy for hanging and the shoulders get stretched and distorted. Rather fold them.
- If a dress or skirt comes with special hanging loops attached, use them rather than the garment’s straps. They are there to prevent the garment slipping off the hanger or because the garment may be too heavy for the straps to support them.
- Make sure that all items have enough room lengthways to hang unencumbered: this decreases the chance of wrinkling.