How do I descale my Exprelia?
Regular descaling is necessary to ensure a long life for your Saeco machine. How often the descaling procedure must be done, depends how much coffee, water or steam has been dispensed. Descaling should be done if your Exprelia has used about 60 litres,or 30 tanks of water. It does not matter whether the water was used for brewing coffee, frothing the milk or just to rinse the system.
Attention: Do not use vinegar to descale.
Please use original Philips / Saeco descaling agent (CA6700/00 or RI9111/12). You can purchase descaling agent from our shop (http://www.philips-store.com/store/) or at a local dealer.
Preparation: Remove the INTENZA water filter before you start descaling. Also make sure that you have one or more containers of suitable size nearby.
To prepare the descaler fluid, please empty the bottle of concentrated descaler into the water tank and then fill the tank with fresh water. Please ensure you fill the tank to the level marked “MAX”, or additional rinses may be required. Once you reinsert the water tank the descaling process will be ready to begin.
Your machine will indicate when descaling is needed:
You can descale your machine as follows:
Please confirm the descaling option in the maintenance menu by pressing OK.
Attention: Once this selection is confirmed, the entire cycle must be completed! Press “OK” to confirm or “ESC” to cancel.
- Please fill the tank with the descale solution (as described in Preparation above) and confirm with "OK".
- Empty the drip tray and put it back in place. Then press OK.
- Fill half the milk carafe with fresh water. Insert the carafe and open the milk dispenser by turning it clockwise. Press the “OK ” button.
- Place a large container (about 1,5 lt) under the hot water/steam wand and milk dispenser spout of the carafe. Press the “OK ” button.
- The machine will start dispensing the descaling solution at intervals. A bar on the display shows the cycles progress. To empty the container during the descaling process, the descaling cycle may be paused by pressing the “ESC” button. To resume the cycle, press the “OK”button.
- The message “Rinse Tank & Fill With Water” indicates the end of the first step (when no more descaler is available in the tank). Rinse the water tank, and fill with fresh water up to the MAX level. Press the “OK” button.
- Empty the drip tray again and put it back in place. Then press OK.
- Empty the milk carafe and fill it with fresh water. Insert it back into the machine. Press the “OK” button.
- Empty the container and place it back under the hot water/steam wand and milk dispenser of the carafe. Press the “OK” button.
- The rinsing cycle is activated. A bar shows the cycles progress. . To empty the container during the process, the descaling cycle may be paused by pressing the “ ESC” button. To resume the cycle, press the “OK”button.
- When the rinse cycle has been completed, the machine will automatically end the descaling process showing this display after a short heating up phase.
If the descaling process is interrupted by turning off the machine, the water tank and pipes must be rinsed using the machine.