This problem may have multiple causes:
1. The appliance is not connected to the household power.
2. The dry-boil protection has been activated.
3. The kettle needs to be descaled.
Below you will find the solutions for each of these causes.
Solution Cause 1: The appliance is not connected to the household power.
Check that the kettle's plug has been inserted properly into the wall outlet and that the wall outlet is working.
Solution Cause 2: The dry-boil protection has been activated.
The dry-boil protection is a safety feature that automatically switches off the kettle. The dry-boil protection will be activated if:
- The kettle is switched on with insufficient or no water inside.
- All water in the kettle has evaporated during operation.
To reset the dry-boil protection, you have to lift the kettle from its base and fill it with cold water. When you place the kettle back on the base, the dry-boil protection is reset and you can switch on the kettle again.
Solution Cause 3: The kettle needs to be descaled.
Regular descaling prolongs the life of the kettle. For normal use (up to 5 times a day), the following descaling frequency is recommended:
-Once every 3 months if you use soft water (up to 18 dH).
-Once every month if you use hard water (more than 18 dH).
You can use any type of descaling agent (liquid, powder or tablet) to descale your kettle. If you use a descaling agent, follow the instructions on the bottle or package to descale your kettle.
Descaling procedure using white vinegar.
1. Fill the kettle with water up to three-quarters of the maximum level and bring the water to the boil.
2. After the kettle has switched off, add white vinegar (8% acetic acid) to the maximum level.
3. Leave the solution in the kettle overnight.
4. Empty the kettle and rinse the inside thoroughly.
5. Fill the kettle with fresh water and boil the water.
6. Empty the kettle and rinse it with fresh water again.
7. Repeat the procedure if there is still some scale in the kettle.
TIP: If you dislike the smell of vinegar, you can use citric acid.
If the above solution(s) did not help to solve your problem, please contact Philips Consumer Care. You can find the phone number of Philips Consumer Care in your country under 'Contact' or 'Customer Service' on this website.
Was this document helpful?